Last Minute Gift "Believe" Glass Block
Hello and Happy Holidays my lovely crafting family!!
This is Rebecca and I'm pleased to give you a little peek into my world! I'm a procrastinator, I don't know if anyone can relate to this, But I AM!!! So the awesome thing about this project is that it took hardly no time at all.
So what you will need is:
- 8x8 glass block
- Die cutting machine ( I used my super duper Cricut Explore )
- Xacto knife or weeding tool
- any color 651 Vinyl ( mine is a sky blue )
- Brutus Monroe Holiday Digital set ( Any of these would be perfect )
So I picked the digi I liked (Believe), and uploaded it to design space to cut, Not the Print then Cut option but the other one. Size your image correctly to fit the block. Then picked my vinyl and slapped it right on my sticky mat. After the image was cut I pealed it off the mat carefully and began weeding this sucker, which really took NO TIME at all, seriously!! But call me sick, I love weeding, I like to see the images take shape. :-)
After the weeding you use any transfer tape you like ( I used Cricut brand ) and cut it to the size of your block. Then lay it on the image, sticky side down and burnish it onto the transfer tape. Peel your tape slowly, making sure to grab every piece of vinyl as you pass it.
**Please before you adhere your vinyl do not forget to clean your glass block with some rubbing alcohol ( I find this works better then any other cleaner ).
Position your vinyl over your glass block and then press down and run your fingers along the design to make sure it's all on there, then burnish carefully as to not poke a hole in the vinyl or tear it ( learn from my mistakes people!! ). After you've finished burnishing, peel back on the transfer tape to reveal your beautiful creation. Clean up any smudges or marks that may have occurred in the making of this masterpiece with a damp rag, be careful with the vinyl.
Finishing touches: You can do a number of different things with your newly designed glass block.
- Leave it as is and go with the "all natural" look.
- Throw some lights in there and call it a day.
- Cut a piece of Vellum to size the inside of your block and place it inside for a faux frosted look (which is what I did because of time restrictions).
- Take your glass block outside or in a highly ventilated area and spray it with the real thing, Frost spray and follow they're application process to the T. (Yes spray the Frost OVER the vinyl, it'll be fine and look FABULOUS!!!
- If you do end up frosting it, I'd definitely throw those lights in.
- OR you can go completely Martha Stewart and bling that thing out so NASA can pick it up from outer space!! Whatever your choice, it'll be made by you, from your heart, to show that special person how much you love and care for them, and that's what truly matters.
There you have it folks, one present for your Grammy, Aunty Chris, or your Bestie. I hope you like this quick lil project and we'll see you in 2016. Thanks for the love <3
- Rebecca Vanbobo